We’re learning more about the 15-story residential complex proposed for Chicago’s ever-so-popular Near West Side. The project by Orlando developer ZOM was once called Union West, but according to paperwork recently filed with the city, just goes by the address 935 West Washington.
It’s a single construction that snakes around an assortment of low-rise buildings and minor parking lots between West Madison Street and West Washington Boulevard. The bKL design includes two prominent high rise towers, most strikingly visible from the south.
The project originally surfaced last summer as a 442-unit complex with a 19-stoy building, a 17-story building, and an eight story building. But after community meetings in December and March, we’re now looking at a pair of 15-story buildings and a one-story building. The sum contains a maximum of 358 new homes — a decrease of 19%, while retail space increased 37%. Perhaps a better match for a neighborhood that has new construction bubbling up like a tumbler full of Alka Seltzer.
As of this writing, 935 is not on the agenda for this month’s Chicago Plan Commission meeting, so it’ll be a little while before dirt moves on this one.
- Address: 933 West Washington Street
- Address: 11 North Morgan Street
- Address: 942 West Madison Street
- Address: 22 North Sangamon Street
- Developer: Haymarket Apartments Joint Venture, LP
- For realsies: ZOM Living
- Architecture firm: bKL
- Zoning: DX-3 > DX-5 > PD
- Net Site Area: 52,813 square feet
- Retail space: 13,700 square feet
- Floor Area Ratio: 6.5 (4.0 base + 1.5 Bonus for Neighborhoods Opportunity Fund, Adopt-a-Landmark Fund, and Local Impact Fund)
- Maximum height: 181 feet
- Roof height: 169 feet
- Maximum width: 247 feet, six inches
- Floors: 15
- Maximum residences: 358
- Minimum automobile parking: 195 spaces
- Maximum automobile parking: 259 spaces
- Minimum loading docks: 2
- Green roof alert! 21,690 square feet